HAPPY GO LUCKY

First Visit to Ranah Minang

As a Nasi Padang number one fans, one of my bucketlist is having Nasi Padang in Padang, West Sumatera.
And that wish was already checked last year!
When I were visited my dad who lived in Jambi for work, spontaneously I said that I want to go to Padang. Unexpectedly my dad said okay! We took a road trip from Jambi to Padang, it took 12hours. Actually there were a direct flight from Jambi to Padang but my family love to have a road trip, always. Even though it was so tiring, everything was pay off by the experiences after it.
It's not about destination it's about the journey.

And,
I easily fell in love with Ranah Minang at the very first visit.
Its foods, no need to doubt. Its scenery and its culture was beyond beautiful.
Here's some places which successfully won my heart.

1. Bukit Tinggi
This is a highland in West Sumatera, located 90km away from Padang. What I love the most about Bukit Tinggi was the weather, it has enough cool temperature. Many tourist attractions here, zoo, museums, and historical places. Me and my fams were visited the iconic Jam Gadang, then my mom did lil shopping at Pasar Atas which sold souvenirs and songket with affordable price. We did a quick stop to Museum Bung Hatta across Jam Gadang. Then we went to Lobang Jepang / Japan Cave, such a mesmerizing historical place. There were a guide who accompanied us around the cave and told us the story behind that cave, some spots were thrilling and got me goosebumps.

2. Danau Maninjau
If you go to West Sumatera, you should try the sensation of driving at Kelok 44. This famous road was a twist-and-turn road with 44 sharp turns. I didn't really count it, but the sign said it. We need to be careful and slowly. And I guess you really need a high skill of driving here, my mom was crying while she drove here because it's a challenging route. I was a passenger so I just enjoyed the breathtaking view, it's Maninjau Lake below. Unfortunately, I didn't really like this lake from the edge because there weren't a good spot to enjoy the view. It's a fisherman villages. The best spot was from above, just like the picture below.  
We stopped by a small stall, enjoyed the beauty of Maninjau Lake while eating instant noodle. The view from above was way better than at the edge of lake. There much small stall to stop by and to enjoy the view. Some of them were provided us toilet and mushola to rest in.

3. Ngarai Sianok
I didn't really know what kind of place Ngarai Sianok was but people always recommend this place if I wanna go to West Sumatera. As I got there, I just amazed by the view. It was a valley with lush green field surrounded by the colorful cliffs, also some flowing river. Simply yet beautiful. Some land worker were greet us with smile. That was naturally beauty. Don't forget to take some photos, because it just too beautiful to pass by. Oh there's a place you must to visit here, Itiak Lado Mudo. This place was very full at lunch time, it hard to get a seat. They sold green chili duck with warm rice, simply but so tasty.

4. Danau Di Ateh Danau Di Bawah
Ateh is local Minang language means Atas/Upper. This lake located on Solok, 65km from Padang. The landscape all the way here were so wonderful, I saw hills, forest, and tea plantations. The first time i heard about this place, i just can't imagine. People called it "Upper Lake Under Lake", confusing isn't it? how can there's a lake below and above you ???
As I got there, I just like.. OOOOHHH YA YA YA!
The thing is when you go down to the lower-land you can see the lake below. And if you go up to the higher-land across you can also see another lake. But uniquely the lower lake was called Upper Lake and the higher lake was called Under Lake. (??) I don't know why. Some people also mention it as Twin Lake. Both lake were located in highland, so the lake may be covered in mist. 
This picture was Danau Di Ateh or Upper Lake. Again me and my fams decided to admiring the view from a far. Then we stopped by another small stall to have some coffee and breakfast there. The stall owner was very kind, they were an old couple. From them I know the meaning of Upper Lake Under Lake. They told us about their children and their daily life. They also gave us Keripik Balado or chips as a compliments. You can visit "Pondok Angin Berembus" to try their dish.
And the photo below was the picture of Danau Di Bawah or Under Lake. The wind blew stronger here, it hard to stand still. Just like common tourist attraction, there were many people offered souvenirs and snacks. Some tourist also enjoyed paragliding.

5. Aie Manih
When I was a child i often told that I have to be nice to my mom or parents. I often heard the folklore about Malin Kundang who resist his mom and turn out to be a stone right after his mom blaspheme him. And I thought it was only a story to scared me until i got to Aie Manih. Actually Aie Manih is a usual beach in Padang, with the main attraction here was a Malin Kundang Stone. People believe that was a form of Malin Kundang kneeling apologize to his mom. You may believe it or not. Regardless of was it a real form of Malin Kundang or only artificial thing, it remind us to always glorify and respecting our parent in any conditions. Beside the famous stone, Aie Manih beach also known as a good place to surf. And it has magical sky when the sun went down!

6. Lembah Anai
Another unique place i found in Padang Panjang, West Sumatera. We were on the way to Padang from Bukittinggi, then we saw the crowd in front. Waaaah! A huge and high waterfall was at the side of main road. Without further think, my dad parked across the waterfall. Then we went toward the waterfall, many people took a bath there. Because it was too crowded, again we step aside to explore the best spot to enjoyed it. I saw an uphill path across which lead us to an abandoned railway. From this spot we got the best view ever! We had conversation while sitting on the railway, watched the waterfall dancing and vehicles were passing below us. I just want to stay there for a long time!
One thing surprised me a lot was in West Sumatera we can't found any franchise mini mart (re: Indomaret or Alfamart), which usually we found it every 5 meters. Later I know that local government here were prohibit their existence because they were preserve small local industry. So you will found Singgalang Mart and other selling their local product. Nice sir!
Sorry I write too long, just because i get too excited remembering those West Sumatera trip. Definitely i'd like to visit West Sumatera again, next time. And sure I will explore another fantastic places there. Any suggestion?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram